31 July 2012
The levels of corruption at Pretoria (Tswane) Metro
By Mike Smith
31st of July 2012
The levels of corruption are just unbelievable in South Africa. Take the City of Pretoria (Tswane) for instance. The Afrikaans Newspaper Beeld reported on the Special Investigation Unit’s report about corruption in the Metro.
Beeld: Shocking facts about Tswane Metro
• 65 Tshwane officials had business interests in 66 companies with which the metro is currently doing business involving R185 million.
• Disciplinary measures have been taken against nine officials whose companies have received payments exceeding R1 million.
• Possible money laundering also came to light after the analysis of bank statements of six companies that can be linked to former or current spouses, and/or relatives of two municipal officials. One of the officials was fired pending the conclusion of the investigation.
• Five people in management positions lied about their qualifications. One has already been fired and steps will be taken against the other four.
• At least six officials in management positions have no qualifications at all, and there are inconsistencies in the qualifications of at least 22 others.
• Eight officials have more than one identity document.
• 13 Officials are using identity numbers that appear as dead people on the Department of Home Affairs’ database.
• Six unrelated officials use the same bank account and all their salaries are paid into this one account.
• 3778 officials are registered to receive social grants.
• 212 confirmed cases of people who obtained their driver’s licenses through fraudulent means. In 87 of these cases the licenses has been referred for cancelation. 10 cases are under criminal investigation.
• 104 Metro Police members have crime records (which disqualifies them). 45 have been found guilty of serious crimes like murder and rape. 18 are awaiting trials and for 50 others no record could be found.
Now think about it…This is just one city in South Africa. Imagine how it is going at the others!